Dust and all sorts of particles are released into the air during a home remodel. That’s why it’s important to follow best practices for maintaining indoor air quality during and after renovations. Superior Air, your trusted air conditioning repair company, provides an overview of them below:
What to Do During Renovations
- Place plastic barriers or tarps over the doors – To prevent dust and other airborne particles from reaching other parts of your house, place a plastic barrier over the doors.
- Clean every day – After finishing certain tasks, you should make it a habit to wipe off surfaces, vacuum carpets and sweep floors to maintain indoor air quality. Here’s a tip: Instead of using conventional vacuum filters, most contractors recommend using high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA )filters, which can trap more dust from vacuum exhaust.
- Use air purifiers and scrubbers – Run air purifiers in rooms that aren’t being remodeled to maintain indoor air quality in these areas during renovations. Don’t forget to routinely replace the air filters to make sure all airborne particles are removed. If you’re planning on installing an air purifier, there are few factors you need to consider. These include the size of the room where you’ll be installing it (small purifiers won’t have enough capacity for a large room), and the air purifier’s clean air delivery rate, or CADR (the higher the unit’s CADR rating, the faster it can purify the air). If you’re having trouble choosing an air purifier, consult a local air conditioning installation company.
What to Do After Renovations
- Ventilate rooms for at least 72 hours after renovations – The Environmental Protection Agency recommends running exhaust fans and providing maximum ventilation for at least 72 hours after your home remodel has been completed. This will help make certain that volatile organic compounds (VOCs) released by paint, varnish and thinners exit your home.
- Change your HVAC system’s air filters – This is to ensure your HVAC system will be able to remove leftover dust and airborne particles.
Superior Air, a local family-owned company with over two decades of experience, offers a wide range of professional HVAC services, including air conditioning maintenance, as well as powerful Carrier® air purifying solutions. To schedule an inspection, call us at (559) 734-2002 or fill out this form. We serve homeowners in Hanford as well as surrounding communities in CA.