A well-performing HVAC system is a sign of a healthy, functional home. To keep your HVAC system in good shape, it’s crucial to understand the role that ductwork plays in the system.
In this post, trusted air conditioning maintenance specialist Superior Air lists the best practices for ensuring proper duct installation.
- Plan for proper placement. When laying out the ducts, it’s important to ensure that they don’t have to travel too far to reach a specific room. If they do, the result will likely be hot or cold spots in that area.
- Invest in suitable materials. Don’t skimp on your ducts: purchase quality materials. Whether you opt for sheet metal, fiberglass or some other approved flexible material for your ducting, ensure it’s durable and meets quality standards.
- Size all filters equally to maintain your HVAC system’s efficiency. Air conditioning repair experts ensure correct sizing by performing room-by-room calculations. Failure to do this will prompt recurring repairs.
- Route ducts through conditioned areas. This will minimize the loss of cooling or heating in the event of a leak. By routing ducts through these areas, conditioned air will leak into spaces that need to be cooled or heated.
- Test your ductwork to verify its effectiveness. Make adjustments as needed. During a retrofit, ensure the ducts are fastened securely with sheet metal screws and its joints sealed with duct mastic.
- Use as few connecting pieces as possible. Remember that every joint where your ducts connect will be prone to air leaks.
- Make sure the air isn’t blowing on people. Cool air blowing across your skin may feel good on warmer days, but during the winter, warm air blowing can be uncomfortable.
- Build quiet systems. Immediately address equipment noise. Check the ducts between the equipment and any registers and grilles.
- Hire professionals for your duct installation. As with any kind of home improvement, choosing a reputable contractor is a must. Their workmanship can affect your comfort and make a difference to your monthly bills. With correct duct installation, you can avoid issues like improper sealing and poor system design.
If you need help with an air conditioning installation, you can rely on Superior Air for your HVAC needs. We offer products and services that will leave your home or office feeling comfortable. Give us a call at (559) 734-2002 or fill out our contact form to request a quote. We serve customers in Visalia, CA, and the surrounding areas.